Ways to Use the YoKid Yoga Flashcards
- Choose 5 cards from the YoKid Yoga Flashcards deck. Take three deep breaths while holding each pose shown on the deck. Increase the number of poses that you practice each time. Eventually you will be able to do the entire deck! Once you’ve mastered the deck, start over and increase your number of deep breathsfrom 3 to 5 for each pose. Can you master the deck with 5 deep breaths for each pose?
- Recite the translation on the front (or back) of the card while holding the pose on that card. How does it make you feel? Try practicing this way with a partner.
- Test your memory: Look at the name of the pose on the card. Can you do the pose without looking at the picture on the other side? Next look at and do the pose. Try reciting the name of the pose without turning the card over to the other side.
- Before class begins, hide a flashcard under each yoga mat. As an activity during class have students take turns teaching/doing the asana that is on the card hidden under their mat. Encourage the students to say the name of the pose, do the pose, and then repeat the name of the pose. After a student has taken their turn, the card is then placed on the floor in front of their mat and the next student takes a turn. When all of the students have taken a turn, call a “yoga scramble” and have the students go to a new mat/switch mats. Once on the new mat instruct them to look down at the card and hold the pose associated with this mat for 5-10 seconds (length of time depends on the age of the group). Call “yoga scramble” 2 or three more times. On the last “yoga scramble” students should return to their original mat and hold their original pose for 5-10 seconds.
- Designate a teacher mat (your mat) and invite the students to take turns choosing a card from the YoKid Yoga Flashcards deck. From the teacher mat, students teach the rest of the class the pose that is on the card. Older students can also read the yogic principle associated with the pose. Encourage students to say the name of the pose, do the pose by looking at the child in the picture, and then repeat the name of the pose.
- Provide each student with a piece of paper and pen/marker. Allow each student to choose a flashcard from the YoKid Yoga Flashcards deck. Lead students through doing the pose on the front of the card and holding the posture for 10 seconds. After they have finished the pose have students write or draw (for 60 seconds) about how they feel immediately after doing the pose. Collect the cards. Repeat the exercise 3-5 times.