Yoga (yg) literally means to unite or to yoke. It is thought that we unite our minds, bodies, & spirit through control of our breath. The practice of yoga can include physical postures, breathing exercises, healthy living ideals (ie. honesty, good nutrition, nonviolence, and academic importance), concentration, & meditation. It is an ancient practice that is over 4,000 years old.
Why is yoga so important for kids and teens?
YoKid students randomly participate in a survey at the end of their yoga session. Here is what they have to say about yoga:
What type of teacher are you?
- If you are a classroom teacher, take a look at our resources to see how you may be able to incorporate affirmations, relaxation, and physical activity into the work you are already doing with kids/teens
- If you are a yoga teacher, check out the resources & ideas that are available on this site to support your yoga classes with kids & teens. Books, affirmations & activities!
How can you as a teacher get more involved?
- Practice yoga with your kid or teen. Ask them to teach you what they’ve learned in class. Reinforce these skills at home with the help of our resource section.
- Participate in our annual YoKid Yoga Challenge as a family! Details, registration, and save the date can be found here.
- Volunteer now as a classroom assistant or get trained to be an ambassador so that you can bring yoga to the kids & teens in your community.
- Donate now to support more yoga for more kids & teens today!